Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snow Again!!

Well, it's snowing AGAIN!!! In 2 weekends here in Richmond, VA, we have had probably in the neighborhood of 18 -20 inches of snow depending on where you live! I'm sick of the snow! It shuts everything down here! I am a born and bred DEEP SOUTH southerner and I don't care much for snow. I like it for just a few minutes. It's beautiful while it's falling; it's beautiful when it's undisturbed, but it's only really good for ONE thing---SNOWCREAM!!! Snowcream is an absolute must to make if you are from the south! I learned to make this as a very young girl when it snowed in NC or GA, the two states I lived in as a child. I will share the recipe with you here so you can make it for yourself or your family. Snowcream is a family affair; everyone can get involved! You can alter this recipe to your liking--less sweet or more sweet, less cream or more cream or different flavorings. Remember, you have to work quickly due to the snow melting when coming inside. Enjoy!!!

Snowcream

  • Place a LARGE bowl outside to collect snow when it begins to snow. A decent snowfall of about 4-6" is necessary to get the"right" snow and the right amount.
  • Get your ingredients ready inside before bringing the bowl of snow inside.
  • I place 1 cup of sugar into my snow that is at least 5 inches deep and 2 tsp. of vanilla.
  • I add 1 cup of half and half and mix quickly.
  • Serve immediately!!!!
  • Be careful! Snowcream can give brain freeze!!!
  • Again, you can make it less sweet or more sweet, you can use milk for less fat or heavy cream for more fat. I suggest the following flavoring: vanilla, almond or coconut.

Enjoy! Stay warm if you live near me!

2 comments:

  1. YEAH!!!!Thanks for sharing! I look forward to learning from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! Isaac has been talking about snow cream, but I didn't know how to make it! Sharon Nunn

    ReplyDelete