Sunday, February 7, 2010

Memories of My Mom

Last evening's dinner brought back a wonderful childhood memory. My mom was one of the best southern cooks ever! She made a mean country style steak and gravy that was always one of my favorites as a child. When I would smell that steak cooking, it brought such joy to me and my sisters! So, with all of the snow here, I decided to make a comfort food dinner. So, we had country style steak and gravy, buttered rice, green beans and sweet potato souffle. It was awesome and tasted just like my mom's. My mom is no longer alive, but is definitely here with me everytime I step foot into my kitchen or my church kitchen. I hope that all who read this blog will not get tired of hearing about memories of my mom. I love you, Mom, and am so grateful for the love of food and cooking you instilled in me! Here are the recipes for the steak and gravy and the souffle. Enjoy!

Sweet Potato Souffle-6-8 servings
This is really more like a pudding than a souffle. I have made some additions and alterations to the orignial recipe that I have had in my recipe box for almost 29 years.

3 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon

Topping
1 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 stick butter, melted

Mix all ingredients and sprinkle on top of souffle filling.

Mix all ingredients together and pour into lightly sprayed or greased souffle dish or 1 1/2 - 2qt. baking dish. Cover with topping and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 50-60 minutes. In a souffle dish, it could take up to 60 minutes.

Country Style Steak and Gravy-6-8 servings

3 lbs. cubed steak
vegetable oil
salt
pepper
1 cup flour
1 tsp. onion powder or 1/2 cup onion thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic or powder
beef broth
3 -4 cups water

Pour vegetable oil to cover bottom of heavy duty frying pan, preferably cast iron or stainless steel, to about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch deep. Combine flour, salt and pepper to taste, garlic and onion powder if using. Stir together or sift together well. Heat oil on medium high heat or 350 degrees. Cut steak into serving size pieces if necessary. Dredge in flour mixture and place steak pieces into hot oil. DO NOT overcrowd the skillet. When browned on both sides, remove from oil and place on a platter lined with paper towels to absorb oil. When meat is finished browning, add remaining flour mixture to oil, adding more flour if needed, to make a roux, or thickening agent for the gravy. If you feel you need more fat for this step, add a little butter. Brown the flour mixture for about 3-5 minutes. Carefully pour the water into the pan stirring constantly. Lower the temperature to medium heat or 325 degrees. Bring the gravy to a simmer until slightly thickened and add the steak back to the gravy. Cook for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.

*Tip-If you have a pressure cooker, after browning add meat to pressure cooker, then make gravy. Add gravy to pressure cooker keeping the gravy thinner because it will get thicker while it cooks in the pressure cooker. Cook the steak and gravy for about 35 minutes in the pressure cooker.
*Tip-You can do the same with a slow cooker. Just cook on low for about 7-8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment